Ready to Participate?
Ready to Participate?
Get Started!
Log In

Is there such a thing as a DVB-C USB (or PCMCIA) adaptor to receive cable TV on a laptop?
If so, where can I get it from and how much is it?
So far I have only found DVB-T USB adaptors.
asked in DVB C, laptop, cable TV

Aiming4777 answers:

It depends on what you mean by cable TV. If the signal you receive at your house is a normal RF TV signal, that you connect directly from the wall socket to your TV, there will be no problem. If you have a premium cable TV connection (such as Virgin or NTL) you need a decoder box to view the signals on the TV set. If this is the case, you will not be able to get a cable decoder to fit directly to your lap top. The only way to achieve this will be to use the decoder box in the normal way and take an RF feed from that (through standard coaxial cable) to your laptop.

In either case, you will end up with a coaxial cable at your laptop. You will then need a TV tuner to accept the signal in your lap top. The most famous brand for these is Hauppauge who make the WinTV range. They do a USB version which is about £30. This can be bought from Amazon or PC World. There are other brands available. http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_usb.html

An alternative, if you only want to watch TV on your laptop would be to get a USB Freeview adapter. These usually have a built in antenna. They will receive all the standard free-to-air digital stations. These cost about £50 and can be purchase from all the usual places. http://svp.co.uk/product/freecom_freeview_usb_stick_4169

/ reply

siasl74 answers:

You can get PCI DVB-C adaptors - for example:
The Hauppage one will receive a cable signal

/ reply


No Comments