hometagsloginregister

Ready to Participate?
Ready to Participate?
Get Started!
Log In

Is chocolate really harmful to dogs?
I have heard this for years but last night, my dog swiped up a little piece of chocolate that accidentally hit the floor and swallowed it whole. I don't really think it was big enough to do any damage to her, but I just wanted to run it by you guys. Is this true or is it a myth? I have heard both before and I really don't know who to believe.
asked in health, dogs



siasl74 answers:

Yes, it is, but the dog has to eat quite a bit:

http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/dog-care/what-happens-if-my-dog-eats-chocolate.html

dark choccy is the worst.

The odd bit is unlikely to harm - but best not to make a habit of it :-)


Supplement from 09/24/2008 12:47pm:

You may wish to play with the charts on this site:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive


/ reply

leddo5617 answers:

yes it is harmful to dogs but in large amounts its the amount of sugar and i cant remember the one name in ingrediants but you dont need to worry about that small amount. last christmas my dog had eaten around 15 quality streets he had snuck of with the only evidence was;was the wrapers in his basket so i wouldnt worry to much and he is 14 so please dont worry


/ reply

Aiming4777 answers:

Yes, it damages their liver.
http://www.vetclick.com/news/view_article.php?ArticleId=78
The biggest problem is that dogs get deeply addicted to chocolate and will pester or forage for it, once they get a taste of it.


Supplement from 09/24/2008 01:29pm:

Obviously a small piece wont do any harm but be aware if you get reports of your dog hanging around outside the local shop trying to get teenagers to buy chocolate for her!!


/ reply

Comments


No Comments