Ready to Participate?
Ready to Participate?
Get Started!
Log In

if a solicitor loses our poperty deeds who is responsible to replace them
a solicitor has passed their business on to another solicitor and they have lost the deeds to 2 of our properties. How do we get them and who is responsible for paying for them etc
asked in legal questions

LauLau answers:

I would say the party responsible is the firm of Solicitors whom your old firm passed the business over to.

/ reply

robinsamuels answers:

It will probably depend on the terms of either your instruction to your original solicitor (if it refers to instructing third parties) or the contract between the two firms.

At the end of the day, you can contact the law society and they'll guide you in the right direction.


/ reply

blacksmith81 answers:

If you wish to file a formal complaint against either solicitor, you should contact the Legal Complaints Service.

The link below will provide you with information on how to do this;

/ reply

Logicalawyer answers:

Before you jump into making a complaint, if your property is registered ie it has a title number, the deeds themselves are now from October 2003 largely only of historic value. ie a land certificate issued before the mentioned date or old deeds as such. You can always obtain a registered official copy of title either from a solicitor or the land registry themselves, if you imagine the land register as a dynamic movie, the copy is a snap shot of it. If however your property is unregistered then you may wish to make a complaint to the firm even if the business has been transfered before you make a complaint to the legal complaints service.

/ reply


No Comments